Wednesday, July 2, 2008

This Time of Year

You know, I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent woman. Although most of my education for life came from the streets, it has taught me some of the worst things and at the same time some of the best.
It's has taught me that being a single mom didn't mean you had to be mistreated by a man, or anyone for that matter, in order to put food on the table. I have done it all! Everything from center stage stripper, to plumber, make-up artist, even ran an art gallery for a while in Texas. It's put the brain into motion.
While all the good times have taught me how to love, love also taught me how to hate, and God is teaching me that I'm all wrong. Because in the end it's the hate that seems to make us love again.
There's something crazy about this time of year for me. My oldest son's birthday is July 9, and he'll be 17 by the way. Shortly after his 1st birthday my dad took him away as one last slap in the face. Every birthday after that for the past 16 years has been the hardest times of my life. He was my first child, my son, the day of his birth he made me a mother. I've never experienced love so deep. The next birthday he was gone and I've never hated more. But with the much wanted, constant interruptions from God, I am also learning what it means to love "everyone."
I lift a burden off of my shoulders by forgiving. My heart spills out with prayers for my enemies. I don't wish horrible lives on anyone. As cruel, and selfish as I have been in my time, I understand what it is to be the enemy. How some people have been able to forgive me is beyond belief. The fact that they have, is a true blessing.
So Joshua, Allow me to wish you a very happy 17Th birthday. I know you are tall and handsome, and most likely mean as a snake. But I love you as much today as the first time I held you in my arms.

No comments: